Responsible for the overall execution of Division Merchandising Plans ensuring they exceed customer expectations for ease of shopping, service, variety, freshness, cleanliness, food safety, and regulatory conditions. Meet/exceed Division sales and business plan objectives for revenue growth and profitability Ensure execution of and establish store accountabilities for budgeted sales plans for all Merchandising Departments through frequent and timely store visits; encourage valuable feedback from Field Merchandisers/Specialist and store leadership that provide opportunities to increase sales, profits, and assist program development and evaluation. Spend majority of time in stores to ensure Merchandising strategies and plans are executed with excellence. Serve as a key execution partner with corporate leadership to create a distinct competitive advantage to enhance the Company position as a leader in the grocery retail industry. Oversee and drive accountabilities for all segments of the Company Strategy to include enablers, initiatives, and action plans. Role model and demonstrate the company’s leadership behaviors and the core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others.
- Ensure Merchandising teams are implementing and executing the merchandising initiatives that support Company policies and practices and complies with all government laws and regulations.
- Lead division efforts to improve market share by driving sales, improved customer count, and sales per customer.
- Ensure a favorable shopping experience for our customers through effective execution of plans.
· Identify opportunities through store and warehouse visit and ensure that solutions and action plans are in place to address identified areas of concerns.
· Achieve/exceed revenue, as well as targeted goals (e.g., safety, shrink) and financial glide paths.
- Drive cost effective sales through partnership with VP, and/or Director of Operations, district managers and store leadership teams to ensure the execution of merchandising plans and initiatives that will maximize sales and profits, reduce shrink and improve each store departments’ contribution.
- Responsible for financial performance of area of responsibility to include development of budgets (e.g., sales, shrink, labor expenses, other expenses) and other targeted goals (e.g., safety) with reports.
- Collaborate with corporate merchandising and provide feedback on the competitive landscape within the Division and SMSA.
- Implement, support and follow up on merchandising and other change management initiatives
- Establish and maintain effective two-way feedback on the communication and efficiency of corporate merchandising, operation and change management initiatives to Division/Corporate.
- Be recognized and support Store/Division/ relationships with vendors and the community.
- Remove all division barriers in creating an inclusive business environment where all associates are respected and engaged.
- Identify talent and develop Successors for all level positions to include Store, Division and Corporate.
- Partner with Human Resource professional to ensure the adequate recruiting, hiring, training, development and evaluation of store management and other field personnel.
- Responsible for the coaching and development of merchandising teams to ensure a pool of promotable and talented associates.
- Supervise and coach direct reports on the performance of their duties; complete performance reviews and provide feedback to direct reports.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations
Some of the Behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are: Leadership Behaviors:
- Puts the Customer First – Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
· Communicates effectively and candidly – Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
· Achieves results through teamwork – Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads through positive influence – Demonstrates strong character; builds partnerships; models a conscious balance between work and personal life; takes personal responsibility for own development; role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Coaches and develops others – Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
- Leads change and innovation – Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with excellence – Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides clear and strategic direction – Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Division merchandising/department head/district manager or comparable experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills