The Mill Procurement Manager will be responsible for managing priorities related to procurement activities for the Mill, developing the procurement and stores organization to deliver both short and long-term value, and for managing change needed to establish Procurement as a seamless participant toward improving the Mill’s reliability and profitability. This position will also drive process improvements, implement lean principles, and harness latest technology to the mill’s storeroom operations. This position will and assume ownership for continual improvement of Total Cost of Ownership of everything bought in Indirect category, while functioning as subject matter expert and procurement category leader for Contractor Services spend for the mill.
This position will represent broader procurement category leadership team among senior leadership of the mill, and ensure due priority and urgency is obtained from the category leaders in response to the mill’s needs. The ideal candidate is a curious and creative problem solver with a keen ability to envision the future state and find optimal solutions today.
- Create and maintain a positive safety first culture, emphasizing on safe behaviors, and promoting training and checklists. Demonstrate safety as a core value and establish a safe work environment by actively leading the safe execution of work.
- Plan and coordinate work, train, motivate, monitor and evaluate performance of employees under supervision. Counsel, record, and discipline as necessary; ensure accountability across team.
- Work with internal mill stakeholders to identify and address unmet needs that align with procurement and the mill’s goals to deliver long term value.
- Participate, as part of the Mill leadership team, in safety and strategic planning events as well as in the weekly leadership team meetings.
- Funnel all procurement category (indirect, capital, packaging material, resin, ink, colorant, chemical and energy) leaders’ inputs to mill lead team, funnel back mill inputs relevant to category leaders back to them with due urgency.
- Engage and keep up to date with category leaders’ initiatives or any supply issues/updates that may impact/benefit mills, and keep mills up to date.
- Manage Procurement and Storeroom processes utilizing key performance indicators (KPI) and value drivers.
- Analyze and control departmental expenditures to conform to budgetary requirements; meet departmental financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, and analyzing variances.
- Ensure all activities are conducted ethically, with integrity.
- Act as subject matter expert and procurement category leader for Contractor Services spend for the mill. Implement world class category management of Contractor Services.
- Maintain list of goods and services not sourced to preferred vendors; plan and implement Request for Proposal (RFP) events for the non-sourced spend.
- Develop and execute RFP based on in-depth spend data analysis and insightful knowledge of market dynamics impacting spend categories to optimize and improve the cost, quality, and schedule of projects.
- Request quotes for spare parts, tooling, services, etc. from preferred suppliers or OEM; review quotes for accuracy, and negotiate best total cost of ownership (TCO) for the company.
- Maintain proactive and helpful outlook with internal stakeholders while maintaining and asserting procurement and storeroom policies.
- Develop positive relationships and maintain rapport with suppliers, driving to continuous-improvement goals of optimal cost, quality, service, availability, and delivery.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams at the facility and corporate to implement corporate initiatives.
- Must maintain an organized database of historical and current RFP information and results.
- Track, maintain, and report cost savings generated by the team.